Re: uBitx v5 issue

Evan Hand

iz,
The dc path does not really help in protecting the rig in my opinion.  Q90 is the first driver stage in the transmitter, it is connected before the receiver low pass filter, and has been known to fail when the antenna is connected and there are strong nearby RF signals.  There is a preventative measure that I and some others have taken to protect that device.  Back to Back 1n4148 diodes across pins 12 and 16 of K1 would be some protection from strong RF.  Lightning would be beyond the simple diode protection.  A lightning arrestor on the feed line is a better solution to protect against damage from large static discharges, or better yet ground all antennas when storms are near

My opinions so there could be better solutions.  Feedback always welcome.
73
Evan
AC9TU.