Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

AA9GG

The BitX40 was the bug that bit me. The $75 price point for a SSB qrp rig! I bought 2.  Unfortunately, the uBitX is just a little out of an OMs budget

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:02 AM Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Gordon,
The laptop power supplies give 65 watts each, even if we do use two of them together (apart from being unwieldy), we would be able to draw 120 watts of power, that would give us about 60 watts output (at 50% efficiency).
I started playing with IRFZ24N transistors yesterday, I blew up 4 of them! Good stuff. Let me report back  again in a few days.
- f

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 8:38 AM Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:
Laptop 65Watt 19VDC supplies are relatively cheap.   They do have some significant RFI problems in my experience.  Thankfully, if not doing QSK CW, you may be able to de-power them with some clever circuitry during Receive (when their RFI is a problem).

Two of these supplies in series would give 38VDC @ 130W and presumably provide enough power for a 50W output system.   I'm not an RF designer, but could you use two parallel semiconductors and power one from two supplies, and the other from two other supplies and add the output together somehow to get 100W output?

Perhaps there is a solution to the cost of the DC power supply.
THanks,
Gordon KX4Z

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 11:02 PM Sila <kasovoni@...> wrote:
Hello Tom,
Noticed this statement from the seller:
Even with EMI/RFI filter built inside, still not suitable for a hamradio operator connecting with radio or wireless communication equipment.

Have you noticed any problems with the power supplies?

-Sila.

--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.