Re: First HF radio..incensed a week ago...I think I blew up my uBitXv4.

Allen Hundley

I just got some encoders and arduinks today. I replaced the encoder first...no cigar. I replaced the arduino and everything works.

Anyone know exactly what happened there?

On Sep 26, 2020, at 3:43 AM, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Allen,
The encoder output is a switch that connects the Black or Brown wire (Encoder input A or B) to the Yellow wire (ground).  So most of the time the value will be high, and only briefly go low when the switch pulses it low.  You can test the Nano I/O with your sketch.  On the encoder short each of the leads to digital ground (the Yellow wire).  The value should change from a high value to a low value when you short it to the Yellow wire.  If you do get the high and low values, then you might have a bad encoder.  The previous does assume that your change to the sketch is directly reading the A0 and A1 analog inputs.

I would suggest that you go back and very carefully verify that you have wired the rig correctly.  You can also compare with this original wire-up from HFSignals:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-wire-up/

I still believe that you have a wiring issue.  It is too easy to cross wire the audio and digital connectors, as they both use the same wire colors.  You could also have a bad/loose connector wire.  The pins can get pushed out such that they do not connect to the header properly.

The less likely fault is a bad encoder.  The encoder uses switches, not electronic devices, so not very likely to fail unless there was a high current across them.
73
Evan
AC9TU