Here is something I want to share with the community. I have done quite a bit of work on the standalone S-Meter from KD8CEC. The functionality Dr. Lee has provided in his firmware is fabulous, and this is my contribution to the effort. I did this using a V4 board, but I think these changes are version independent - just requires use of KD8CEC firmware.
The Summary is below, full details are in the ReadMe on GitHub at https://github.com/soligen2010/dspmeterv1
. The new version is under i2cmeter2
This started with 2 simple goals in mind, but snowballed into a pretty large revamp and more improvements that I originally intended. The original intent was:
- Get the CW decode to function (it was not working for me)
- Memory was very constrained - reduce memory usage so future new functionality can be added.
Here are some highlights. See the ReadMe on GitHub for the details.
- CW decode mods - hard to tell degree of improvement, but it now works for me if the signal is not too weak.
- Significant reduction in memory usage
- More accurate frequency display on FFT (Requires a Nextion UI tweak)
- Faster, higher resolution S-Meter (higher resolution Requires a Nextion UI tweak, High resolution is optional)
- Calibratable S-Meter (and circuit for optional signal boost)
- Calibratable Power/SWR Meter
- Fixed several potential stability issues. I never experienced instability - I corrected things I noticed that might have one day caused an issue.
- Significant code streamlining and reorganization.
- Optional faster Serial speed (requires tweak to Nextion and Ubitx firmware)
- Improved frequency change latency when the FFT is being displayed
- Optional support for using the Hardware serial output port instead of Software serial.
I also included my customized Nextion firmware (3.2" display)
- Tweaks to go with the changes above.
- Added Power and SWR meter screen (graphical)
- Added Power and SWR (numeric) to main screen when transmitting - SWR flashes yellow/red when too high
- Streamlined MEM to VFO screen
- Frequencies are loaded when the screen opens
- Selecting a frequency immediately returns to main screen
- I think there may be other tweaks I did some time ago - I don't recall the specifics.