Re: Replacing SMD component

Gordon Gibby

Cut them apart and remove them one pin at a time

On Sep 8, 2020, at 19:41, Shirley Dulcey KE1L <mark@...> wrote:

Replacing SMD components is easy -- I find it much easier to do than replacing through-hole parts. I've had a V3 on the shelf for a while that I'm now trying to put into use and I'm stuck on replacing the relays -- I can't get the existing ones off the board :(

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 7:26 PM Clark Martin <kk6isp@...> wrote:
For SMD I’ve found the following helpful.
Headset magnifier
fine tweezers
practice
Both with a conventional soldering iron and my hot air rework station, I practiced on desoldering components till I got a feel for it.  I also soldered a few recently removed parts back on to the board for practice at installing parts.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Sep 8, 2020, at 11:48 AM, R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and useful tips guys. All noted. If I get the idea of playing around with SMD parts I will look at getting a hot air system. Playing around with SMD parts may well be forced on me as they become increasingly the norm.

I should have everything I need delivered in the next couple of days. I then need a nice sunny day for plenty of bright, natural light. After sacrificing several small fluffy toys to appease the gods I will then give it my best shot.