Re: Replacing SMD component

Owen Vinall

This info is just in time for my own attempts at working on Smd's. Some great tips thanks for all of them. I am thinking of making some Smd bits for my rather old Weller iron using some modified copper pipe pieces. Re Bad Tracks on Hard drives. I used to rebuild (not real rebuilding) Mainfram disc packs. You had to run a program to detect bad tracks then add them to the bad tracks directory then copy all the data back. Crude version of Defrag I guess. I wondered how consumer grade discs handled that issue.
Re Smd's I am making a simple Web cam Microscope so I can see what I am doing. So far I disassembled a spare web cam that is no longer supported by current W. Plugged it into a spare Raspberry Pi usb port running Raspbian (Debian). Fired up Vlc and it recognised the web cam. With the web cam lens removed and a spare Slr lens reverse mounted against it I can see fairly clearly the many 3 coloured dots on my monitor. They are quite large. I have 3d printed a number of holders to hold the reversed lens and the modified web cam so It's now a matter of tidying it up. Just use Dr Google. You will need plenty of light but that's easy.

Sorry if this is rather long.

73 Owen

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020, 6:22 am Black Wolfe, <blackwolfe@...> wrote:

On 9/8/20 10:27 AM, R. Tyson via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

Due to a senior moment ( I am old enough to be entitled to have them) I need to replace Q90 which is a dreaded SMD device.

I cut down an old, knackered soldering bit and cleaned it up as shown in the photo. I then applied some heat conducting paste (probably not essential but I already had some). I then wound 1mm copper wire onto the remains of the soldering iron tip. The two prongs that are formed should enable me to heat all 3 connections on the transistor at the same time and it (should) come off the board easily. Well.... it looks easy when the guys do it on YouTube !

Reg                   G4NFR