UBITX Ver 6.1 building experience

robert pohorence

Here are my experiences with the assembly and testing a new UBITX Ver 6.1 Kit

Purchased from GIGAPARTS Huntsville, AL. late August 2020

Assembly issues:
-Volume control shaft does not stick out far enough through front panel, causing the volume control knob to rub against the cabinet.
- To many pins on the front black display connector, to line up the display to the front panel cutout you have to offset the display assembly off toward the volume control, leaving a blank connector pin toward the key jack.
- All the front panel connectors , Mic, audio, Key are not labeled.
-The three connectors do not protrude far enough through the front panel to allow fastening the ring nut to the front panel.

Powering up the Ubitx Ver 6 first time:
-Wired and soldered the 12vdc coax type power jack with a black and red #14 wire. Power supply used is a 10 amp, 13.8vdc.
- Connected an HF antenna to the BNC antenna connector.
- Tested all touch screen icons and all worked as they should. Software ver. 6.1 was displayed on the right lower corner of the display.
-Due to poor propagation I could only hear signals on the a few bands, the USB/LSB icons were confusing to me, as on 20 meters it didn’t matter if you touched the USB or the LSB audio remained the same! I have read that the Ubitx V6 automatically switches to LSB below 10MhZ.

Frequency Alignment.
-I used the YOUTUBE video by Ashhar Farhan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8
After the alignment I tuned to WWV at 10Mhz and at zero beat the readout displayed , and  was not happy with the actual freq display as  compared to my ICOM 7300. So I looked up a Local AM radio station frequency and set the display to the AM station frequency, used Menu and Set Frequency, zero beat the AM carrier, the Ubix  freq. display now  was right on the AM station frequency.

Receiver
- The Ver 6 receiver works very well and is very sensitive to weak signals, the lack of any AGC ,requires the user to continually adjust the volume control in order to maintain a reasonable level of audio.

Transmitter Power output CW and SSB:
Setup, Autek Research WM1 power meter and 50hm dummy load. The Autek Research Wattmeter has a 20-Watt range.
-CW Mode RF output power.
80 > 12Watts
40>7Watts
30> 7Watts
20> 6.5 Watts
17> 5Watts
15 >6 Watts
10> 3.5 Watts

I verified the above readings with a different Wattmeter of know accuracy and they are correct.
I noticed that the CW Side Tone was quite Load and is not adjustable, except by lowering the Volume control, which also lowers the incoming signal! A separate adjustment would be most welcomed.

SSB RF Output Power Using the original BAOFENG microphone.

As mentioned previously the Mic Connector was not extending through the front panel and I could only get ¼ to ½ turn on the circular nut.
When I pushed in the Baofeng mic jack into the connector the transmitter started Keying the transmitter intermittently, just moving the cable keyed the transmitter!! I had to remove the Circular nut on the mic connector to allow the Baofeng mic jack to go further into the connector and that corrected the intermittent keying of the transmitter.

The Autek Research wattmeter has a function that allows Average or Peak RF readings.

The SSB RF output into the DUMMY load on ALL BANDS was less than ONE-WATT OUTPUT. Even when the Autek was switched to Peak readings the readings were still one watt or less!

I have read that in this Group that low SSB output is common with the supplied Baofeng Mic.

A microphone that works with the UBITX V6 model in SSB mode that produces full SSB rf output would be most appreciated!

My Experience with the building and testing of the Ver 6 kit, is that the Receiver suffers from the lack of AGC, and the CW output power is not level across the ham bands, the CW Side Tone is very loud when working a weak CW station. SSB contacts will be very difficult using the stock BAOFENG microphone, as RF output on all Bands will be 1 watt or less.

Rob N8RT

--
Rob N8RT