Re: Serial cable to usb dongle to usb cable

Christopher Miller

Hmmm this sucks. I may have to move my radios. Even if I put a bitx on my desk I will need to run coax probably 20 feet. Apartments suck for ham radio.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 8:44 AM Rick Green <rtg@...> wrote:
On Tue, 1 Sep 2020, Christopher Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know the maximum reach of a serial cable and usb cables?

> I have a pc across my bedroom and between my serial dongle and radio I would like to start getting digital modes going. Sorry for the basic questions.

In general, the max spec for a USB cable is 16 feet.  I don't remember the RS232

spec length, but it would certainly depend on the driver chip. full +-12v will

certainly go farther than +5-0 TTL shortcuts.

--

Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's

  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish

  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons

                        entitled to constitutional rights.

                        http://www.MoveToAmend.org