Re: Content flagged as objectionable

Ravi Miranda

Jack,

Thank you for all that you do for the Ham Radio community.

Much of the world today is working with Software Defined something; be
it radio or networks. While I have had the good fortune to read the
cryptic Kernighan and Ritchie several years ago, I welcome any modern
book that helps the next generation focus on good programming skills
and C still remains the foundation on which other areas can be
expanded on.
As the earlier threads have adequately said, modern generation rigs
have software at their core, not to mention all gadgets, from freezers
to microwaves, but I digress.

Of course, there are several of us who would also like to build an
analog VFO including the rest of the RXTX in analog, but, today, even
if I need to squeeze a signal from the humble SI5351, I require good
coding skills especially in 'C.

Carry on the good work, Jack, and thank you once again.

Best 73,

Ravi/M0RVI

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 16:25, Robert D. Bowers <n4fbz@...> wrote:

Considering the almost ubiquitous presence of microprocessors in amateur radio, and the presence of the Raduino in the more recent versions of BitX, I cannot understand why something as foundational as the programming language (or languages) involved in the operation of the radio would be considered objectionable.

I learned (self-taught) C decades ago, and although I am VERY rusty at it (I probably would even have to look up some coding tips for anything even slightly more complex than "Hello World!"), learning C still has greatly helped me to go through code - I can understand what I'm reading (as long as it's not TOO complex). In fact, if you wrote any beginning C books in the early 90s, I may have used your book! ("Learn C in X days" - the title was something like that, and I think I still have it along with the software disk - hidden away somewhere!)

Too bad the Arduinos weren't available back in the mid 70s when I first learned programming... they'd have made some dreams possible!

As far as objectionable - some flexibility and 'leeway' is always a good thing. One person's "off topic" might be right on topic to others!

Bob
N4FBZ

On 8/23/20 9:51 AM, Jack, W8TEE via groups.io wrote:

Hi Evan:

Thanks for taking the time to write and the kind words...they are appreciated.

I can say that our editors at the ARRL have told me that they expect the Projects book to be printed on Sept. 18. I really don't know what that means in terms of selling the book. I'd suggest people just go to the web site (arrl.org) after that date and check their store for info.

Thanks again!

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 23, 2020, 9:40:27 AM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

Jack,
My vote would be to continue to post your messages, as one of the most posted problems (outside of the audio input and receiver sensitivity issues) is on how to upgrade the microcontroller in the Raduino. This is not based on any detailed data tracking, rather on my reading the majority of posts on this board. If anything is out of the scope of the board, it would be the discussion of MOPA, as these are not related to the bidirectional heterodyne design of the uBITX or andy of the BITX that I am aware of. Even those posts are OK for me, as I learn from all of them.

BTW, I did purchase your book and have started reading it. This even though I have multiple years of other systems programming (mostly industrial PLCs and other languages), and have dabbled in the Arduino and Raspberry Pi devices. I learned somethings in the first two chapters, so already worth the $10 on the Kindle site.

Again, please continue to post, and to write teaching-focused programming books. I look forward to the ARRL publication when it becomes available.
73
Evan
AC9TU

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
I'm here to add more value to the world than I'm using up.