Re: Beta Readers, closed!

Robert Campbell

Jack,

Did those developers move over to Volkswagen after Aztec shut down?

--
Rob Campbell
KG6HUM

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 10:20 AM Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I remember Aztec C. Byte Magazine always used to benchmark C compilers and one of the tests was The Sieve of Eratosthenes. There were about a dozen C compilers in the tests, including mine, and while Aztec was so-so on most tests, it beat everyone on the Sieve test. It was later found out that they wrote a section in their compiler that could recognize the test code and, instead of compiling it, dumped out hand-tweaked assembler code for it. They pretty much died after that was discovered. I think they are also the only company that used -1 for NULL.

After that, there were a bunch of benchmark tests that use the Drystone and Whetstone benchmark tests. The problem with both of those tests is that they really didn't test the code generation of the compiler, but rather the implementation of the Standard C library function calls used in the tests. As a result, I wrote the Dhamstone (get it?) benchmark test ("Philosophy and Methodology of Benchmarks", Computer Language, Feb., 1986) as a better benchmark for testing code generation. Running that benchmark serious scrambled the test results!

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 1:04:33 PM EDT, Tom Frobase <tfrobase@...> wrote:

Jack,

 had your book on my shelf next to "K&R" and "Learning to Program in C".    We were using Astec "C"in those days with a $500 removable 10 Meg hard drive.  My staff always told me my favorite programming language was solder! ha ha ... tom, N3LLL

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I don't think any author thinks he can reach every potential reader successfully. But to say you've never read a single book that helped you seems unlikely. Indeed, to me it says that they aren't doing any combing of the book reviews before they buy, or they have unrealistic goals about reading a book. Also, I know that students who read the book and do the exercises will learn more than those who don't. For those, like yourself, who have a reading disability, perhaps they would be better served with a video or some other medium. Jeff makes it seem like he keeps buying books even though his mind is made up that they don't work for him. That seems like the repeat-the-same-experiment-and-expect-different-results problem. Simple solution for Jeff: Quit buying books.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 10:22:16 AM EDT, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

I think Jeff makes a good point. I personally have a reading disability. Writing a book for everyone is impossible.

Chris

--
Jack, W8TEE

--