Re: Power supply

Bob Lunsford

I agree Bill since it worked for me. I bought a set of VHF kits in the mid-70's and made a 2M repeater, complete with [Root] Beer can cavities. Learned a lot of hands-on technology that stood me good for years. Put to use a lot of studying I did to get the FCC 1st Class  Radiotelephone license. Gave me a gut feeling about a lot of technology that still works for me today re electronics and antennas. The repeater was up for three years and taken down only when moving from TX to KY to continue my studies.

Everyone's taste is in his/her own mouth, however.

Bob — KK5R

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 11:28:18 AM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi Dean,

Some of the value in building stuff does not involve pennies at all. A
lot of other things come our way from building instead of buying. The
pride in doing it may be the smallest benefit.

When I have built and used radio gear I got exactly what I wanted and
left out everything that was not what I wanted. Sometimes what I want is
not on the market or is not available.

I learn a lot more than just the minimum required to get a project
working. In this example of the battery and it's custom charger I get
intimately familiar with how the battery works. I get even more familiar
with how the charger works. If something fails I know right where to look.

As an example of the above - I was using homebrewed gear to participate
in NTS traffic nets. From start to end of moving all the traffic each
day the net lasts a few minutes to a half hour. The final amp tube in my
transmitter was biased class C and used blocked grid keying. It was also
built with mostly junkbox parts. I checked in one evening and spoke for
some traffic meant for my location. And then the plate current needle
slammed up against the pin!. Zero bias on the final. I took the TX to
the shop, found the series resistor lead had broken off, changed out the
resistor, and back on the net in time to get that traffic. You cannot do
that with gear you have not built and understood. Along the way I also
learned about trusting scraps from the junk box:)

Maybe this will change some peoples' accounting systems:) I always
encourage people to build their own stuff if they have the slightest
inclination to do so.

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more