Re: Got a fan mounted #v6

Interesting Bob, thanks!

At 12/06/2020, you wrote:
Per Wikipedia:

WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to the US Material Safety Data Sheet information, [14] and with the CAS numbers interpreted: [15]
The UK (and EU) formulation is stated [16] according to the REACH regulations:
  • 60-80% hydrocarbons C9-C11 n-alkanes, iso-alkanes, cyclics <2% aromatics
  • 1-5% carbon dioxide

In 2009, Wired published an article with the results of gas chromatography and mass spectrometry tests on WD-40, showing that the principal components were C9 to C14 alkanes and mineral oil. [17]
Bob — KK5R

On Thursday, June 11, 2020, 5:18:58 AM EDT, Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@...> wrote:

WD-40 is meant to loosen rusty nuts and such. I heard it contains fish oil.

I use silicone oil for lubricating such things. I used to get many FT757 with tuning shaft jammed.. I used to clean with isoprophyl alcohol
and remove the gunk and then put a drop of silicone oil.

Raj

At 11/06/2020, you wrote:
>An aerospace electronics company I worked for in the 1970s banned WD-40 from the plant. No one was allowed to even have it in their possession, including the maintenance crew. This was on the orders of the chief production engineer (my father) and the quality-control manager.Â
>
>People would use the stuff on fine bearings and on sensitive mechanical instruments. When all the volatiles evaporated, it left a sticky mess that attracted dust and gummed up the instruments. It simply was not intended as a lubricant, though that is probably its most common (mis)use. To this day, I can't even stand the smell of it.
>
>Todd K7TFC

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.