Re: Bitx case design issues #parts #v6 #ubitxv6

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

You didn't read what I wrote or else completely misunderstood it. The nut is only in place while are working to shorten the screw. You wouldn't put the whole danged radio kit in a bench vise! I have been 'adjusting' screws this way for decades. I have a tool like the one you describe but it won't do metric screws. I wouldn't buy one just to trim four screws. You spend your money the way you want.

For assembly of the radio that nut is not used with any of the four screws as they screw into the standoff behind the panel. They will no longer bottom out in the short standoff and will then pull the front panel and the standoffs tightly together. The screw head will seat *in* the front panel and the knob will clear.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/9/20 1:39 PM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:
Doesn't putting a nut under the screw's head make it stick out from the cabinite? Wouldn't this cause even more interference with the back of the volume control knob? This might be a ramification of doing it this way.
When you use the Champ crimper's screw cutting feature, you screw the screw into the tool from the threaded side and the unwanted part is cut off and then the screw is backed out the threaded side. This cleans up the screw's thread. And I've never had a problem screwing a screw with part of it cut off. The threaded part it's screwed into takes care of it; it had a shaped area that accepts the shortened screw with no problem.
Those Champ crimpers were available at Sears and other "fine" stores but like I said, I get them at flea markets and they cost me somewhere between one and two dollars. I got one Saturday afternoon for one dollar from a guy who was cleaning out his garage. Now I have about four of them.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, 8:03:04 AM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,
There are probably as many ways to shorten those screws as there are
screws to be shortened and hams to shorten them. I installed a hex nut
on each screwand ran it up against the head of the screw. I clamped the
nut in a bench vise and filed the screw down to size. That took about
one minute at most. Finer file then beveled the ragged edge. Removing
the nut cleaned up the ends of the threads on the way out. That beveled
edge around the circumference of the screw makes it much easier to start
the screw into the threaded hole at assembly time. I hope this help
somebody who does not have the means to buy a special purpose tool for
cutting and rethreading M3 screws. Files can be re-used for many other
jobs. That $pecial tool can only be used to shorten M3 screws.
73,
Bill  KU8H
bark less - wag more

<mailto:rpremo@...>