Re: #v6 For sale, #v6

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I am voting with Dean. I have built some stuff before. I was looking for a platform to get a good grasp of microcontrolers in radio gear and have a new radio in the shack with general coverage receive and do SSB/CW on the air. The uBitX ticked all the boxes. I have a V3 and it gets used:) If you want a plug n play radio with all the bells n whistles and every mode known to man you should buy a YaeComWood or EleCraft, etc (I have a Kenwood, some Heath, and Johnson gear). The radio does what it promises. Enjoy.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/9/20 11:54 AM, Dean Souleles wrote:
HI Bob -
I think you are going to love your uBitx.  I have the V5 and until I built my own homebrew 40 meter transceiver it was my go-to rig - even over my Kenwood TS-450s.  I thoroughly enjoy operating it both SSB phone and digital.  With a good antenna and a good operating location you should be able to work the world.   Some folks don't seem to fully grasp is that this is not a commercial rig supported by a big company.  It is a low cost hobbyist kit rig with amazing capabilities - and all the support is right here on the board.  Even though V6 is pretty much plug and play - it is still a kit and you may need to do a little tune up work.  For me it was just calibrating the BFO- which is even easier now - there is a tool and procedure right on the HF Signals web site.  The other nice thing is that for an aspiring home-brewer the uBitx kit is a great gateway project.
I frequently listen to AM stations - since this is a general coverage receiver you should be able to tune stations just about anywhere on the HF bands.   It is still single sideband but it sounds surprisingly good.  If your BFO is properly calibrated when you tune to an AM station you can flip back and forth between USB and LSB and you will hear no difference at all.
As far as why some folks sell.... it's merely "different horses for different courses."  I guess not their cup of tea.
73,
Dean
KK4DAS