Re: Bitx case design issues #parts #v6 #ubitxv6

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

There are probably as many ways to shorten those screws as there are screws to be shortened and hams to shorten them. I installed a hex nut on each screwand ran it up against the head of the screw. I clamped the nut in a bench vise and filed the screw down to size. That took about one minute at most. Finer file then beveled the ragged edge. Removing the nut cleaned up the ends of the threads on the way out. That beveled edge around the circumference of the screw makes it much easier to start the screw into the threaded hole at assembly time. I hope this help somebody who does not have the means to buy a special purpose tool for cutting and rethreading M3 screws. Files can be re-used for many other jobs. That $pecial tool can only be used to shorten M3 screws.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/8/20 9:47 PM, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:
Some Champ-type crimpers also have screw cutting holes. Some are also metric screw cutters. I shop flea markets for crimpers.
On Monday, June 8, 2020, 9:06:20 PM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,
The real problem is the screws reach the bottom of the hole in the
standoff they screw into before the head ever gets to the front panel..
No matter how much of the head you remove the screw will still be too
long. When you saw a limb off from a tree be sure to sit on the trunk
side of the cut instead of the outer side of your cut.
73,
BillĀ  KU8H
bark less - wag more