Re: What’s actually better?

Gordon Gibby

 FYI: the PN2222 and plastic friends are not the same device.
Never got the same performance from those.”

THANK YOU for that bit of information!!
I would have been completely deceived.

Gordo

On May 30, 2020, at 14:38, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

The original BITX20 design used 2N2222a devices.  Then we found that
many of these devices were inferior (if a floor sweeping tested as NPN, it
was labeled a 2N222a and marketed as such) and were being sold through
popular retail outlets.

That situation resulted in a change from 2N2222a (plastic devices) to 2N3904,
also plastic devices, that seemed to be more reliable and within specifications.

This was in the era when BITX transceivers were built using Ugly Construction
methods with parts from junk boxes and from local retailers.

Arv
_._

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:29 PM ajparent1/kb1gmx <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
Hi ohwenzelph,

Short memory, you were here during the thick out it all back when.

Also anyone paying high prices for 2n2222A are nuts, seems the
supply of a lot of devices (leaded) are low (are we surprised?)
so everyone figure out to hose everyone else.

FYI: the PN2222 and plastic friends are not the same device.
Never got the same performance from those.

Other known candidates include 2n3866, 2n5109 and likely others may be
listed in the Wiki.

Allison
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting in groups.IO