Re: Highlighting band selected

Jeff Debes

Bill,
I feel that your comments were at least in some part targeted at me and therefore warrant an answer.
People are almost as varied in personality and in desires as nature is itself .
One should not should presume or judge anything about another persons knowledge level or what that person has contributed to ham radio or to any worthy aspect of society.
Ham radio as a hobby is now more varied in interests and reasons for interest in the hobby than ever. ( and that is a good thing! )
No question is wrong, no judgements should be presumed about those asking questions. That will just turn people away.
Snobbery of knowledge of a particular subject include this hobby is simply wrong.
Yes , you ( we all) often feel that everyone should dive into ham radio.
But I try to be a generalist, not an top expert in anything but looking at the big picture.
In profession, I was a Systems Engineer at Xerox Corp. Now retired . I am as you probably already know , an Extra Class ham op , first licensed as a Novice in 1963 , call sign WN2RHU. My other hobbies are varied and include hiking /Mt climbing. Climbed the 46 high peaks.
Spent many years as a mentor in First Robotics , etc etc
So wrap up :
On this DL , no question or even complaint is ill founded . Let’s not judge people .
Yes, people can look things up , and learn .
Some will, but some will just want to get to the goal of a working radio.
Expressions of frustration by questions are simply symptoms of some issues that may need to be fixed in by HFSigs or answered amiably without judgement by knowledgable people in this group.
If the same questions come up more than once, it would beg of the need for change /improvement to product, group response, or documentation access.

Jeff

On May 28, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi,

Maybe there are some unfair or unrealistic expectations of some minimal knowledge to become a ham. The instructions seem to be written with that in mind. One thing we learn when we must write is who the target audience actually is. To be fair to HF Signals I have been surprised by the nature of some questions asked by licensed hams - even without an expectation that new hams know *everything*. None of us knows *everything* and learning only stops when we die without us ever knowing *everything*. My comments are not aimed to offend or insult or belittle anybody.

Just to balance those statements, I have personally known hams with extra class and commercial licenses who clearly did not know some basic things. To me that was even more incredible than some of the questions I see today. At least today's newbies know to ask them even if they don't know the words needed to ask:) I am now one of thos *old* extra class hams and I try to not be like those fellows I have just mentioned. I know I am a very poor 'distance elmer' and I wish I could get a few of those new hams in my shop for a day or two. If they ask me something I don't know we could both learn:)

73,

Bill KU8H

On 5/28/20 10:57 AM, Jeff Debes wrote:
Bill, Tony,
Thanks for the advice.
To be clear: I have a confirmed QSO where the op copied me on LSB and USB with out me changing any settings.
Is that still a possible symptom for misaligned BFO?
If so fine. I will try again at home with a PC.
I want to say that the kit is sold as a working board, & the buyer is trusting that it is working, that it was tested properly. What if it is not? That will happen.
Documentation clarity for engineers is one matter, and appears to be simple enough, for casual builders it may need to differ.
A support group such as this is fine for resolving many issues , but it should not be the only recourse.
Why do so many users come back here to ask questions? ( the documentation is not adequate?)
Personally, I’m used to building non-digital circuits/radios. There is operability simplicity , excellent ease of use, and clarity in analog radio circuits.
Anyway
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try the suggestions.
Jeff
--
bark less - wag more

--