Re: Test equipment recommendations

Robert D. Bowers

No.  I got it off of eBay.  I'd have to look it up (it's out in my shop).  It came from China as I remember.

I've got a couple of those $10-$15 Radio Shack multimeters - one out back, and one in the tool box in my van.  They'll do 90% of what you usually need one for (especially with probes like for RF snooping).  In my shop/home lab, I needed one with additional functions - like peak hold and digital output - which gets occasional use.  For more really complicated stuff I turn to my good digitizer scope.  IMO, a good meter is something that as you get more experienced, the more you'll appreciate the 'extras' - especially if you don't have access to the really good equipment.  Mine isn't the best unit available, but it's accurate and precise enough for what I do - and it has adequate safety stuff built in.

I probably grab the meter about 80% of the time... my scopes come next (probably 10%), followed by the other equipment.

On 5/17/20 8:10 PM, Reed N wrote:
Hi Bob,

For home/hobby use, I have a Best DT-9205M. It's not a high quality multimeter, but it measures AC and DC voltage and current, resistance, and capacitance. It's good enough for order of magnitude capacitance (is this a 0.1uF, or 1uF?), and reasonable on DC voltage readings. It's unfused on the current input, so I never use it for high current systems - that's just asking for trouble. For high current stuff, I borrow the high quality multimeters (with all the bells and whistles, like min/max hold, counters, and such) from work, but I can't remember the last time I needed to do that. I don't think buying a quality (expensive) multimeter would be a bad idea, and you're absolutely right about them lasting a LONG time (with proper care), but also don't think that it's necessary to buy something like a Fluke 289, BK Precision 393, or 121GW straight out of the gate.

I whole-heartedly agree with you about reading and following your equipment's specs! That's what I was hoping to convey with the "know your tools' limitations" bit.

Do you have a link to whatever kit you bought for the HF upconversion?

Reed