Re: Test equipment recommendations

Robert D. Bowers

I forgot all about this!

One more (really inexpensive) thing to add to the list - a decent SDR dongle.  I spent less than $30 for mine - and I've used it rather like a spectrum analyzer (1mhz window on frequency - maximum, but any frequency center from below 28 mhz to 1400), it also can be used to check deviation in a FM rig, and when connected to the if of a rig (through a buffer amp) - a VERY sensitive band scope (I've also used it to really clean up signals I couldn't understand).  I use mine with GQRX - quite pleased with it.

A computer (or even tablet/phone) can be used for other tests as well - with decent audio in/out (adequate bandwidth/low distortion).

Bob