Re: Test equipment recommendations

Robert D. Bowers

I've thought about a decent SA, but have never had the money (or the luck to find one).  Thanks for the reminder about the RSP1A.

I've been using my SDR dongle for checking spectra - it's limited to 1 mhz of the spectrum at a time, but it CAN be used to check FM deviation and so on - plus purity of signal (and even give indications of how far down spurs and so on are).  That's pretty good for something less than $20 - and I forgot to add that to the list I put up!

Bob

On 5/17/20 11:52 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
For me, the basic is:
1 - DMM
2 - An SWR/Power meter
3 - A 100Mhz or better oscilloscope
4 - A PC

Nice to have if you are going to do surgery, PA mods, or antenna experiments:
1 - An SDR Play RSP1A with a -50 DB tap and step attenuator to use as a Spectrum Analyzer (SA)
2 - NanoVNA or Antuino (from HF Signals)
3 - 50MHz signal generator

Really nice to have:
1 - 2 GHz spectrum analyzer (Sigelent or Rigol)

All of the DSO Oscilloscopes that I have seen are only good to 1 MHz or so.  You really need the 100 MHz to do testing on a superheterodyne transceiver like the uBITX.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the flexibility and usefulness of the SDR Play RSP1A as a SA.  Of course, I would really like a Sigelent or Rigol SA, just not ready to spend $1,000+.

Above are my thoughts, others may be different, and YMMV.
Good Luck
73
Evan
AC9TU