There is something call sub groups that has been long ignored
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
At 25/03/2020, you wrote:
Still thinking about how to manage the "hams working on
ventilators" traffic versus
the rest of the BITX-20 group discussions.Â Wonder if it would work
to let the ventilator
traffic continue but keep it under a very specific #topic header.Â
This would allow
those who are not interested in ventilating to just mute that topic so
never see it again.Â Your thoughts...?
On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:15 PM Gordon Gibby
- Thank you Arv.Â Â Probably 35 messages have gone out internal
the group working on the ventilator in the last 24 hours alone.Â Â
Two programmers have written working or nearly working code to improve on
the tiny stuff that I wrote; one press release was authorized; a
university PIO has come on line, and three manufacturers have stepped up
to potentiallyÂ assist or manufacture.Â Â All of that happened with
very little email here (unless I happened to slip up and sned it to the
wrong place and if so, I apologize) -- and now we are at the point of
moving toward a printed circuit board design and final software.Â
Â Some had ASKED for updates on this forum.Â Â All of this,
including frantic efforts to find suitable pressure transducers etc,
fervent discussions of legal matters, and safety concerns and some
arguments that were a waste of time...all happened outside this forum
(which was appropriate).Â Â 97.1 indicates amateur radio is to be a
RESERVOIR of trained people....and this in keeping with the outworking of
precisely that.Â Â Once a sufficient number became involved, there
was no further need to discuss on this forum (unless by accident I sent
the wrong place, my apologies).
- THANKS for all who have volunteered their time and expertise, the
group who started this has been overwhelmed with offers.
- Lets hope this does some good.
- Gordon Gibby KX4Z
- On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 11:49 PM Arv Evans
- A recent ARRL news post highlighted the BITX20 group effort to work
up a low cost design for a safe ventilator.Â Â
- These are strange times that might offer an opportunity for hams to
"make a difference".Â
- My request is for those not interested in this subject to mute the
topic for the next few days.Â Work is ongoing to form a new group
to focus directly on this effort.Â This will hopefully move the
ventilator messages to that venue.Â If off-topic posts persists
after the new group is functioning, those posts can be moderated and
redirected to that group.Â Â
- I would ask those who are setting up a new info and control web site
for the ventilator project to post a notification here when their site is
up and running.Â Once that is done we can take steps to move
ventilator traffic over to that new discussion site.
- On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 8:53 PM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io
- Your best bet is convince the forum moderator, that would be
- Â Â Â
- I suppose you could check with Farhan, he may still have some pull
- Â Â Â
- Â Â Â
- Failing the above, perhaps start your own group?
- Talk about this pandemic will be everywhere that people
- If you want to avoid any such discussion, I suggest you pull the plug
- your computer, radio and TV till about this time next year.
- Back to the topic:Â Â
- Hopefully, if I need a ventilator, it will be something fully vetted
by the FDA and UL and whatever.
- Hard to imagine Tesla and GM producing enough at sufficiently low
cost to satisfy the needs
- of every African village.Â This Nano + SprinklerValve thing may
or may not be the answer,
- but seems an effort well worth supporting.Â
- > My vote is to stay on-topic,
- I haven't seen a post here about the Bitx20 in ages.Â
- Jerry, KE7ER
- On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 05:27 PM, Ken Hansen wrote:
- Opinions vary, news of Elon Musk's latest exploits have never been
covered here before - I see no reason to start now.
- Do we want to start debating the suitability of a first-time medical
device maker going from blank sheet of paper to respirator in a hospital
ICU without *any* meaningful regulatory review in two weeks?
- Typically the goal of international groups such as this one is to
remain apolitical and avoid discussions of topics that only affect one
region By staying on topic. (Remember the "CA State is shutting down
all repeaters" scare? The "France wants to eliminate the 2m
band" scare? In my opinion those discussions didn't belong here
either, thought they were arguably Amateur Radio-related, unlike the Elon
Musk link.) This group has a specific purpose on it's
- "This group exists for constructors of the various BITX
projects, to discuss all aspects of the design and construction including
problems, components, modifications and experiences using the
- My vote is to stay on-topic, but mine is only one of the 7,833 voices
on this reflector. I'll happily reconsider if/when I hear Elon has
ordered a uBitx has had some feedback or improvements on the design.
- Ken, N2VIP