Re: Portable antenna(s) #antennas #v6

Tom, wb6b

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 02:20 AM, Gordon Gibby wrote:
but I did not see loss or efficiency data
Hi Gordon,

I think the efficiency is based on the ratio of shorter length vs a half wave. I've seen formulas and tables with antenna efficiency listed that way. As for transnformer loss, yes, it would be nice if they specified that. Palomar Engineers has been around for a long time and I'm basing the odds that they design their ununs correctly on their reputation. But an actual measurement by them or a qualified tester in a review would be nice. I don't know how a well designed 49:1 transformer vs a well designed 9:1 transformer stack up next to each other loss wise.

In my case I bough the 9:1 unun kit and installed it in a weathertight PVC conduit right angle junction box. My main driving factor was to be able to run a shorter antenna wire that would let me operate on 75 meters phone in the space I had available for the antenna run.

Tom, wb6b