Re: The SAGA is COMPLETE!

Daniel Flanagan

OK... I played around in the ARRL DX Contest today and made about 100
QSOs on 20M with the uBITX.

I've been looking through the menus.... and have one question so far.
There are two menu selections for adjusting the BFO. One says adjust
BFO and the other says adjust CW RX BFO which lets you pick CWU and
CWL. CWU was way off. I adjusted CWU setting until i heard normal
sounding CW signals. I then tried CWL and it sounded pretty much the
same with no adjustment needed. It was out of wack before I made the
CWU adjustment.

So... My question is... What is the difference between these two BFO
adjustment menus? Is it just allowing one to have different BFO
settings for SSB and CW? The manual does not say anything here.

Maybe I'll take a peek at the source code for any comments in this area.

73, Dan (W3DF)

On 2/15/20, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Dean!
Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, February 15, 2020, 3:25:14 PM EST, Dean Souleles
<dsouleles@...> wrote:

We hijacked Dan's thread!  In any case Dan, I no of no better user
documentation than what you already have.

Jack that is good advice to all developers.  As a 40+ year software
developer, CTO and technology executive (and a much more recent HAM) I can
attest to a couple of things....

1. I am not nearly a good  an electrical engineer as I am a software
engineer.
2. Many HAMs writing software for Arduinos and Raspberry Pi's etc, could
benefit from a programming 101 course with an emphasis on the basics of
structured programming (and simple things like using readable variable names
and using functions)  Most Arduino programs I've tried to adopt are
mercifully brief but man they can be a challenge to reverse engineer.  Since
C and all the languages derived from it (nearly everything) are notoriously
cryptic in their notation, it is even more important that developers learn
to structure and document.
3. User guides  are pretty poor - even when written by pros.  And worse when
written by engineers.  I just got the 400 page document for my Rigol scope -
sure there are descriptions of every single menu item - but very few
descriptions of what things actually do or why, when or how you should use
them  or what their limits are.  And it is made worse when the software guys
insist on user messages like "Function limit exceeded." with no other
context.
4. Message board (like this one) and YouTube are your friend - but your
mileage will vary a lot, and you should double check everything - we've all
had the experience of seeing things online stated with certainty that I know
to be false.

5. Hams who want to learn to program well should read (and learn) from
"Beginning C for Arduino" by a fellow named Jack Purdham.

Cheers and 73,

Dean
KK4DAS