Re: software update, Reed's code merged

Richard Spohn

Ashhar, I am making purchase decisions based on your excellent demos
on Youtube. Will you be posting a demo of the new, improved software
v6 soon? Thanks - Rich WB2GXM

On 1/24/20, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Yes, we didn't ship any V6 until now because of these changes in software.
the kits are going out today and tomorrow. the upgrading process for the
V6s shipped in December is quite smooth too. A plain vanilla Arduino
software is all you need.

- f

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 9:47 PM V Zecchinelli <n1vin@...> wrote:

Thank you Ashhar. Is this new version used on all new V6 orders now? I
want to order a V6 but am waiting for bugs to settle down.
Thanks 73 Vince N1VIN

On 1/24/2020 2:24 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

Peeps,

I have done a bit of tweaking to the code of the version 6. the updated
code is at https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6/
Here is what is new:
1. The 17 meters band now works, it was an oversight to have made a one
line mistake in the code.
2. The display is now quite fast. It is a rewrite of the the display
routines
3. Reed's momentum tuning has been added to the code.

Do download and test it.

Now, for the longer story...

The way display controller works is that it sets a 'window' within the
320x240 display and then you transfer all the bytes needed to be written
it. They are written to fill up the display left to right each line, from
top to bottom. Thus, if you wanted a letter that is 14 pixels high and 5
pixels across, you will open a window that is 14 by 5 and then transfer
70
pixels (of 16 bits each) to it.
The transfer function of the SPI library works such that it transfers a
whole array at once. We don't have the luxury of memory to store a whole
array of the screen, hence, we were doing something silly.

We were defining each pixel to be a 1x1 tiny window and painting it with
the colour that we needed. Thus, a line that was 320 pixles across needed
to draw 320 pixels, one at a time. SLOW!!

The new code snips the drawing into smaller segments of about 64 pixels
at
a time and transfers them in blocks. the code to fill rectangular blocks
is
in quickFill and the displayChar.

That apart, Reed's excellent code for better tuning has also been merged.
I briefly tested it to work well with the CAT on wsjtx. That's always a
big
worry. it seems to work quite well.

73, f