Re: software update, Reed's code merged

V Zecchinelli

Thank you Ashhar.  Is this new version used on all new V6 orders now?  I want to order a V6 but am waiting for bugs to settle down.
Thanks 73 Vince N1VIN

On 1/24/2020 2:24 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
Peeps,

I have done a bit of tweaking to the code of the version 6. the updated code is at https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6/
Here is what is new:
1. The 17 meters band now works, it was an oversight to have made a one line mistake in the code.
2. The display is now quite fast. It is a rewrite of the the display routines
3. Reed's momentum tuning has been added to the code.

Do download and test it.

Now, for the longer story...

The way display controller works is that it sets a 'window' within the 320x240 display and then you transfer all the bytes needed to be written to it. They are written to fill up the display left to right each line, from top to bottom.  Thus, if you wanted a letter that is 14 pixels high and 5 pixels across, you will open a window that is 14 by 5 and then transfer 70 pixels (of 16 bits each) to it.
The transfer function of the SPI library works such that it transfers a whole array at once. We don't have the luxury of memory to store a whole array of the screen, hence, we were doing something silly.

We were defining each pixel to be a 1x1 tiny window and painting it with the colour that we needed. Thus, a line that was 320 pixles across needed to draw 320 pixels, one at a time. SLOW!!

The new code snips the drawing into smaller segments of about 64 pixels at a time and transfers them in blocks. the code to fill rectangular blocks is in quickFill and the displayChar.

That apart, Reed's excellent code for better tuning has also been merged. I briefly tested it to work well with the CAT on wsjtx. That's always a big worry. it seems to work quite well.

73, f