Subject: Re: [BITX20] Book TOC
From: "Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum@...>
Date: Sat, November 30, 2019 10:33 am
To: <BITX20@groups.io>

When I got my first full-time teaching job, I bought a Life Membership to the ARRL. I paid $125 in 1970 for it. Probably one of the highest ROI I've ever had!

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, November 30, 2019, 10:28:20 AM EST, Robert D. Bowers <n4fbz@...> wrote:

Absolutely right about e-books.  You can use them that way if you can do a word search (in doing, for instance, cultural research) and you can cut-and-paste from the text (for writing papers), but for anything more of a technical nature (with schematics, diagrams, and so on) - it's easier to print out the pages in question - defeating the purpose of the e-book.  (It might work if you have the space for a laptop or big tablet - but even then I'd rather have what I need on paper.)  If the e-book requires a specific reader, all the company has to do is change the reader and you're locked out of the very book you purchased.

I think I even still have an e-book purchased several years ago for reference, that the publisher put a 'disable date' in it - I could use it for a couple of years, but suddenly it wouldn't open any more with a message to re-purchase (a $50-$100 book at that).  No warning about time limits before purchase, I should add (from a big name book selling company, whose readers earned a lot of negative comments when their 'updates' disabled features that were regularly used by people).

I've got a couple of the ARRL books I purchased at a hamfest a few years ago - and would love to have yours - but at least for the next few months, wouldn't have the money (can't even afford ARRL dues for the last few years).  Maybe by the time it's in print we won't be quite so tight.

(Having the diagrams and so on available on CD can be a big help, btw.  VERY useful for searches - then go to the hardcopy for usage.  It's especially useful if you provide code or some sort of software!)

Bob

On 11/29/19 11:57 PM, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io wrote:
I've never self-published, mainly because of the difficulty in getting market presence. In this case, McGraw-Hill who published the original Projects book did absolutely nothing to promote the book, so there was no way that I was going to use them again. The ARRL does promote its books, so that was a major consideration. The other factor is that I want this to become a reference book...a springboard for others to enhance, and an ebook just doesn't seem to work in that arena...I wanted a book I could hold in my hand, and that's not cheap.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 7:25:11 PM EST, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

Hey Jack, what were the most important factors that made you decide to go with ARRL instead of just publishing on Amazon yourself?

On Nov 29, 2019, at 14:30, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

The book you found is the one I wrote about 5 years ago. Note that it's title is Arduino Projects for Amateur Radio. Because that book did fairly well, and there has been a real advance in some of the microcontrollers, we are not limiting ourselves to the Arduino family of microcontrollers this time. Instead, we are limiting it to those that can be programmed within the Arduino (free) IDE. Therefore, the new book is titled Microcontroller Projects for Amateur Radio. This time we have projects that use touch screen displays and the STM32F1, ESP32, and Teensy 4.0 microcontrollers. We do things in this book that simply were not possible in the first book simply because the resource depth and clock speed wasn't there.

Sorry for the confusion!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 1:06:28 PM EST, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

Jack

I am confused (my normal state!).  Your email says the book is not yet in publication but
It is already available in paperback and via Kindle.

Arv
_._

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:38 AM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The book is not in print yet. In fact, it will be published by the ARRL and they say it won't be done until the second quarter of 2020. The title will be Microcontroller Projects for Amateur Radio. Amazon will likely carry it, but we're encouraging people to support the ARRL directly if possible.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 12:24:15 PM EST, John Faivre <wa9sgd@...> wrote:

What is the title of the new book? I looked on amazon and didn’t see anything with those projects
--
thanks
John Faivre WA9SGD

--