Re: Taa-Daa

Jack, W8TEE

The problem with the new Teensy (T4) is that its small size forced some of the I/O pins to be moved to the bottom side of the board. That would entail a total redesign of the JackAl board because we use a lot of pins on it. Some of the JackAl functionality is separated out into projects in the new book. JackAl is probably more cost effective, since it combines that functionality into one board, plus add features we don't cover in the book.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 2:57:44 PM EST, Goran Skular <goran.skular@...> wrote:

Perfect. Congratulations!

Why not include JackAl also?

BTW, I can't wait to order one.. or maybe wait for new teensy version :)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 19:39 Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io, <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
All:

Most of you are aware that Al (AC8GY) and I are working on a sequel to the Projects book titled Microcontroller Projects for Amateur Radio. We changed the title because we have not limited ourselves to the Arduino family of processors, but include the STM32F1, ESP32, and the Teensy 4.0 controllers. All can be (and, for the book, are) programmed in the Arduino IDE using C. Today, Al and I finished writing the narrative for the last chapter of the book.

We have signed with the ARRL to publish the book, and one reason for signing with them is that they had enough faith to sign a contract with us, but allow us to finish all of the projects before submitting the chapters. That way, Al and I could work in the absence of a publisher breathing down our necks. That's the good news. The bad news is that, despite us beating our Jan 1, 2020, deadline, they are putting the new License manual ahead of us in the production queue. (Boo !) I asked if it would be ready by FDIM and they said no. That was a huge disappointment, but it is what it is. I'm still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.

Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.

Jack, W8TEE
Al, AC8GY

two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
Inline image
Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
Inline image

All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at various voltages)
Inline image

30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
Inline image
Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
Inline image
Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation this year)
Inline image
Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming antennas)
Inline image
Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used in Field Day).

Inline image

--
Jack, W8TEE

--