Re: Using Vacuum Tube heathkit as Linear Amplifier for QRP

Richard Spohn

Bill, do you have the schematic for the solid-state T/R switch, or
even better, do you still have that switch? I am keenly interested in
an all-electronic (no relays) T/R switch for QSK. Building one from
scratch may be slightly outside my skill set tho. -- Rich WB2GXM

On 11/10/19, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,

In the 80s I built boots for an Ten Tec Argonaut 509 using the carcass
of a Heathkit DX-35. There is no receive circuitry involved. I biased
the single 6146 for class AB1 operation. I built a solid state T-R
antenna switch to keep the QSK feature of the 509. It served me for a
several years and then the 509 moved to a new home. The remains of the
DX-35 also went to another ham.

I have the CW portion of a Heathkit DX-100 down for overhaul. The AM
phone parts were all gone when I got the DX-100. I am going to dpo the
mods to include the linear operation in phone mode to amplify SSB
signals and keep the class C operation for it's CW operation - ala the
Apache (TX-1). Grid block keying has already been part of this
particular DX-100.

Sometimes QRP is just not enough.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 11/10/19 7:35 AM, Don Richards wrote:
Hi Gordon
I ran across this a while back but never tried it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://frrl.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/hotwaterforthek2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjwzsTQ09_lAhWsmuAKHQ1MCyYQFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1PdjqVxSUEw-wayoqwuZyO

73 Donve3ids
--
bark less - wag more