Re: Using Vacuum Tube heathkit as Linear Amplifier for QRP

Gordon Gibby

Fantastic!   part of the magic of ham radio is experimenting and developing more personal knowledge of radio and electronics.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:38 AM Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,

In the 80s I built boots for an Ten Tec Argonaut 509 using the carcass
of a Heathkit DX-35. There is no receive circuitry involved. I biased
the single 6146 for class AB1 operation. I built a solid state T-R
antenna switch to keep the QSK feature of the 509. It served me for a
several years and then the 509 moved to a new home. The remains of the
DX-35 also went to another ham.

I have the CW portion of a Heathkit DX-100 down for overhaul. The AM
phone parts were all gone when I got the DX-100. I am going to dpo the
mods to include the linear operation in phone mode to amplify SSB
signals and keep the class C operation for it's CW operation - ala the
Apache (TX-1). Grid block keying has already been part of this
particular DX-100.

Sometimes QRP is just not enough.

73,

Bill  KU8H