Re: Using Vacuum Tube heathkit as Linear Amplifier for QRP

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

In the 80s I built boots for an Ten Tec Argonaut 509 using the carcass of a Heathkit DX-35. There is no receive circuitry involved. I biased the single 6146 for class AB1 operation. I built a solid state T-R antenna switch to keep the QSK feature of the 509. It served me for a several years and then the 509 moved to a new home. The remains of the DX-35 also went to another ham.

I have the CW portion of a Heathkit DX-100 down for overhaul. The AM phone parts were all gone when I got the DX-100. I am going to dpo the mods to include the linear operation in phone mode to amplify SSB signals and keep the class C operation for it's CW operation - ala the Apache (TX-1). Grid block keying has already been part of this particular DX-100.

Sometimes QRP is just not enough.

73,

Bill KU8H

--