locked Re: Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System, Endangering Lives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

Tom, wb6b

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 08:14 PM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:
very close working relationship with police, fire, and other emergency agencies
Yes, perhaps I'm being a little hard on the official agencies. They do their official duties well, are dedicated and fortunately (hopefully) have modern communication systems that will let do their work efficiently and reliability. But, especially in a bigger state the people and the government become isolated from each other. So, people that recognize this and may be more political savvy (in a good way) may be reaching out and help put the advantages of volunteer groups and official agencies working together back in the awareness of the people that prepare for disaster. The Hams will have an important role in providing communication for the general population and the more coordinated with the official agencies the better. I think locally, here, the comment was made about responsibility if a volunteer got hurt and insurance (whether this reported reason was official, I'm not totally sure). In a disaster situation the people worrying about insurance will be overridden by the desire for the volunteer services to fill in these gaps.

Tom, wb6b