Re: 5w on 40 meters

Curt

Dave

all very cool!  your ubitx pair seems have not gotten the 40m malady (its not that huge) that affects maybe just a small number of our rigs.  has me wondering what the producibility difference might be.  the only sources of stray part leakage that folk have cited are the 45 MHz inductors and the stock relays (either inside or outside the part as its mounted).

honestly this matter had no impact to me until I started mods to remedy v4 SSB spurs.

I have done a decent amount of CW on the ubitx - I was addicted to it for months.  crazy when I have rigs with much better QSK but I got used to its behavior.  I did work a little DX with it on 40m SSB using my vertical.

John

if you are interested, monitor your 40m CW power while you touch those 45 MHz inductors.  I can tune mine up to around 10 watts based upon how I touch the inductor!  all pointing to taking my v4 to the bench some day to try some shielded inductors.  I will check signal strength in receiving a nearby 10m beacon before and after.  don't know how soon I will get to this surgery.

Curt