locked Re: Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System, Endangering Lives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

Jack, W8TEE

Tom:

Perhaps things are different there than here, but we have a very close working relationship with police, fire, and other emergency agencies. We work with hospitals to provide coms between medical support stations for everything from local marathon races to parades and other public events. This frees both EMT and police manpower to be deployed more effectively. While we have independence in our assets, we work in concert with local agencies when asked to do so. We even had local police and fire chiefs attend our local meetings so we can inform them of our capabilities. They genuinely appreciate such efforts.

Your view that our job is to handle messages for citizens is far too narrow. Our ARES services do very little of that. We augment public emergency services, not replace it. We see our abilities as an adjunct to their facilities and can help direct those resources where they may be needed most. During an emergency, they may be stretched so thin that they can't deploy enough manpower to know the real danger spots. We can help with that.

My guess is that some percentage of µBITX users also have a 2M HT or bases that can touch a repeater. It would be a shame for expensive applications, fees, and rents to lessen that ability should an emergency arise.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 5:15:44 PM EDT, Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:

I suppose this has some relevance here, as some people here are getting groups of hams set up with uBitx radios to form emergency communication networks.

So lets look at this from the myopic perspective of the government agencies. Their view of the world is so the police cars driving around and the fire trucks going to calls can communicate. They have no interest in handling messages for the citizens. Or providing a communications lifeline for citizens when all other forms of communications for the general public have gone down.

That is the importance of Ham radio, to provide the communications lifeline to the citizens during emergencies. Because the Amateur Radio operators have taken it upon themselves to develop an independent communications network and give of their time to maintain the equipment, train and organize the people to provide this communication service to the people that the official agencies will not provide.

So, it may be best to just forget about the idea that we have any use to the official agencies and all their fancy communication networks as they drive around in their vehicles. (Admittedly a very important thing.) And concentrate on Amateur Radio as being the communication lifeline for the population at large, who will be left behind as far as communication needs, when disaster strikes.

Tom wb6b

--
Jack, W8TEE