Re: Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,EndangeringLives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

Terence Taylor

This is a tempest in a teapot. Please see the below information from our section manager:

The State of California has not made any determination we can find "that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit. "What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department.  That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use and tenants.  If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.
Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater.  If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:29:19 AM PDT, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

It’s amazing how news travels ala word of mouth or for the internet, social media gossip.

This is what I originally read, then heard conflicting stories. I’m glad I hold reservations to anything I digest over the internet.

https://offgridsurvival.com/california-officials-declare-ham-radio-no-longer-a-benefit/

Joe

KD2NFC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10