Re: Did something break, and what should I check?

DD5ET

I'm new with the uBITX, too, so I'm no expert. Just some initial thoughts.

Regarding WSPR, what you describe doesn't necessarily sound unusual to me. I've got a WSPRLite from SotaBeams and I've had similar experiences. Some days I'll have reports all day, some from halfway around the world (with 200mW transmit power on 20 M). Other days, I'll have only a few scattered reports. Could be several things. Propagation changes, of course, would be the first thing to consider. Also, I've noticed that WSPRnet.org has been very flaky for me lately. I use the DXplorer.net service and they depend on getting data from WSPRnet. Frequently, I'll get a notice from DXplorer that says there's a problem getting data from WSPRnet. When I go to WSPRnet to check directly, it often doesn't respond. Also, there are times when I'll have no reports for hours and then all of a sudden reports start showing up from hours ago. So, it also could just be issues with web sites and reporting delays.

What band(s) are you using for WSPR? What kind of an antenna are you using? Where is the antenna located? Do you know how much actual power your uBITX is putting out with WSPR? All of these things can affect WSPR performance.

I noticed you mentioned noise (but didn't mention what kind of an antenna you use or where it's located). At my QTH, virtually all of my radios are deaf. The noise level here is between S5 and S7 on good days. If I go for a walk outside the town, the airwaves come alive. Even my portable SW radios hear tons of stuff with just a telescopic antenna when I'm away from the noise. If you have too much noise at home, you won't really get a good idea of what the radio can do until you take it somewhere with low noise levels. Take it portable. If it's still having these issues, then maybe you can conclude it's not the antenna or noise and take a closer look at the radio.