Re: Gordon Gibby Digital Interface

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

​I snapped up two of those before he runs out.......takes me 30 minutes to solder one togehter (including the sound dongle) and he just took off a good chunk of that!!!  

I'm going to find the boxes I use and post those here also.    And also the 500 ohm pot for those wanting a panel mount TX control.   The RX is set-and-forget

gordon

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:56 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Gordon Gibby Digital Interface

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Exercise caution with links and attachments.

​I would suggest you get familiar with how to crack open a 1475, and how to solder to them, and offer the entire thing as an option also -- it is duck soup to do it when you know now, and you get your +5V out of it for free also --- and that is a significantly huge improvement over the effort others will have to do, in order tolearn how to make those connections.

it makes it way more reliable as well....but people may destroy one sound dongle before they get the hang of soldering the +5 wire to the tiny red line coming in from the computer.    i do it with ease now.    

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Gordon Gibby Digital Interface

You are absollutley NUTS to offer it for $20   ASSEMBLED.   That is very little over what the  PARTS cost us.   

never again will I solder one together----I'm just ordering from YOU!!!! 

Because there is a ground plane, you may even get away with not enclosing this, but you'll do better if you just screw the board to a small piece of wood (or double-stick-tape to some cardboard) and put it in a small tea tin or something.   I found tin boxes for $2 each.

If you make the TX gain ccontrol a 500-ohm panel mount, you'll have much better control of the TX signal....  That's what i do for HF.  For VHF, the little trimmer works fine.   

i use the $5 Adafruit 1475 cound card, and I literally drill a hole and solder the wires to the right places, after I pop apart the white plastic, of course.   See here:   https://www.adafruit.com/product/1475​  They are not great soundcards,,,,but they work.  

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of N8DAH <Dherron@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:42 PM
Subject: [BITX20] Gordon Gibby Digital Interface

Ladies and Gents

Gordon Gibby, KX4Z has offered us a great little kit to release and its now ready!

This digital interface has all the bang with a great price.

On board 5v regulator that you can power from 12-13.8v or you can leave it off for direct 5v input.
Built in VOX PTT via reed relay
PTT LED
Input and Output gain control
Audio Isolation transformer 600:600ohm

The kits are available for 15$ or 20$ assembled https://shop.kit-projects.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=120

--
David

N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.