Re: Help #arduino

Jack Purdum

Hi Evan:

As many of you probably already know, PJRS, the makers of the Teensy family, just added the Teensy 4.0 and it is a beast! Some features include:

– ARM Cortex-M7 at 600 MHz
1024K RAM (512K is tightly coupled)
2048K Flash (64K reserved for recovery & EEPROM emulation)
– 2 USB ports, both 480 MBit/sec
– 3 CAN Bus (1 with CAN FD)
– 2 I2S Digital Audio
– 1 S/PDIF Digital Audio
– 1 SDIO (4 bit) native SD
– 3 SPI, all with 16 word FIFO
– 3 I2C, all with 4 byte FIFO
– 7 Serial, all with 4 byte FIFO
– 32 general purpose DMA channels
– 31 PWM pins
– 40 digital pins, all interrrupt capable
– 14 analog pins, 2 ADCs on chip
–  RTC

plus more. Paul was very careful when he selected his Beta testers for it, and most were frequent contributors to his Forum and the authors of major libraries. They been beating on it for almost a year, so I think the core should be pretty stable. The footprint is actually smaller than the 3.6 and the cost is, too...$19.95. It's overkill for many projects, but the depth of that resource pool opens a whole new world in many arenas!

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 18, 2019, 11:20:55 PM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

The short answer is yes, if you add the screen features you want to the Arduino firmware.  I am not aware of any such firmware available.  There is also a shortage of I/O in the stock Raduino.

I would suggest that you first look at the Nextion display work that can be found here: http://www.hamskey.com/.

Dr. Lee has written software and screen designs to work with the Nano that came with the uBitx.  With all the added features, there is very little room for more modifications in the Nano code.  You do need to purchase a Nextion display with touch screen capability. https://nextion.tech/  Be sure to verify the screen size and the enhanced version with touch capabilities to work with the KD8CEC software.  I used both the 2.4 and 3.2 inch enhanced versions.  Available from multiple vendors.

There is the also JackAl add on board that did change the processor to one with more memory and speed.  That is available here: https://qrpguys.com/jackal-for-%CE%BCbitx  This has higher capabilities, at a higher price.  Be sure to note that the listed price for the board does not include every thing that you need to make it work.

You can go the route of converting the Nano code to a larger/more powerful processor like the Teensy on the JackAL board or other newer Arduino based system.  Regardless, that will be a significant effort.  Would be curious to see any results that you come up with.

73
Evan
AC9TU