Don - KM4UDX
This is soooo embarrassing. I did exactly precisely as Dave describes. I attempted to tweak calibration/BFO, screwed it up, made the radio useless, and blamed the radio.
After meeting myself on the battlefield of self inflicted stupidity, I've learned to assume the worst about the operator. I'm rarely disappointed.
I got back to "operational", but not without a lot of trial and error, with emphasis on the error. Thank goodness for memory managers (MM). Using MM the cycle time to tweak/observe/evaluate/repeat was reduced to seconds. Even I could fix my own screwups with enough trial cycles done quickly.
My uBITX is now fully functional and wonderful. But not really due to me. hahaha.