Re: Easy desoldering of relays (& other multi-pin devices)

David Wilcox

Go to their site

And watch their videos on all their products.  Miracle stuff.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jul 19, 2019, at 4:05 PM, V Zecchinelli <n1vin@...> wrote:

I just tried this on removing a 64 pin SMD chip and it worked fantastic.  Have had Chipquik for a while but never used.  Worked GREAT!!!
THANKS!!!
73 Vince N1VIN

On 7/19/2019 7:59 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
This is why I recommend Chipquik.

It is a solder with a very high freezing temperature.  You mix it in with the current connection with  a soldering iron and then it stays soft for about 10 seconds giving you time to remove the part.

I had to remove a very large transformer from a HF amp that had 2 circuit boards joined together that was about 3cm long.  Without Chipquik, it would have been near impossible.

I'm blown away how easy it is and how much safer it is to your board than the traditional methods of solder suckers, vacuum stations and even solder wick.

You might want to watch their video.  This is new school and much newer technology.

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:09 AM David <dokrent@...> wrote:
The method fo removing solder through hole components; where you can access the component fully,
per my days in medical instrumentation, is to use fine wire cutters and cut the  leads as close to the body of
The component as possible. Then remove the component. Next take a small pair of needle nose pliers grab the lead and heat the pad using a tip with a drop of solder on it. When molten pull the lead out. Then reapply heat and use a solder sucker to clear the pad and through hole. This reduces the chances of damaging the feed through hole.

I am not a big fan of solder wick as it can often lead to overheating the pad and damaging it.

Also if you are having trouble getting a small piece of solder off a pad or feed through. Re-apply solder to the whole pad and feed through and then try the solder sucker again.