Re: Easy desoldering of relays (& other multi-pin devices)

Joe Puma

I good suction desolder tool got most of the solder off for me on the relay. It removed it so well I was able to remove the relays with a wiggle and they broke free.

Joe
Kd2nfc

On Jul 18, 2019, at 8:28 AM, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

Hi Gerry

Find some Chipquik.  It makes desoldering a breeze.  I've even pulled multipin CPU's from boards with it.

Mike va3mw

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:47 AM gerrykav via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I recently changed out the relays on my v0.3 uBiTX, and since for whatever reason I cannot get wick to remove all the solder, no matter what iron I use and how much flux, I thought I might try another method. There are a number of low-temperature solder products, the most famous/common, being ChipQuik. They are basically an alloy that includes indium or gallium which when added to a solder joint, drastically lowers the melting point. What this means is that you can melt the solder at each leg of a device, and by the time you have gotten to the last leg, the first will still be molten, which means the device just pulls free. The risk to the device and to the board is greatly reduced.
If anyone is having difficulty, or is apprehensive about replacing the relays, this may be a good solution.
/ Gerry