Re: 2m under threat for Thales

iz oos

I am happy Yaesu would sell a ton of 2m radio. Maybe to Thales. Look, consumers will take into account the fact that they might eventually loose the 2m band in 2023. There is a risk, there will be a premium. I expect the prices for 2m ham radio will significantly fall until the situation is clarified. The same for the 23cm band. It will be interesting to see the evolution of the IC-9700, in the used market as well. That's economics, surely not an exact science but closed to be.

Il 12/lug/2019 20:48, "Ken Hansen" <ken@...> ha scritto:
Noting your tin foil hat, I would just point out that in 2023 is when the parties involved will begin *discussing* re-assigning certain bands within ITU Region 1, and the requesters have already said - in their request for the discussion in 4 years - that they do not want to impact any currently active allocations for other services.

In many people's minds this is a parallel to the US 1.25 Meter band changes a few years ago, but there are many, many differences - primarily the 1.25m (220 MHz) band was for all intents and purposes a USA-only allocation, 144-146 MHz is a global allocation.

I suspect Manufacturers will wait until regulations change before contemplating dropping bands from their offerings. Yaesu will sell a ton of 2m radios before the regulators even meet in 2023.

Ken, N2VIP