Re: 2m under threat for Thales

Ken Hansen

Noting your tin foil hat, I would just point out that in 2023 is when the parties involved will begin *discussing* re-assigning certain bands within ITU Region 1, and the requesters have already said - in their request for the discussion in 4 years - that they do not want to impact any currently active allocations for other services.

In many people's minds this is a parallel to the US 1.25 Meter band changes a few years ago, but there are many, many differences - primarily the 1.25m (220 MHz) band was for all intents and purposes a USA-only allocation, 144-146 MHz is a global allocation.

I suspect Manufacturers will wait until regulations change before contemplating dropping bands from their offerings. Yaesu will sell a ton of 2m radios before the regulators even meet in 2023.

Ken, N2VIP

On Jul 12, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Brent D <kn4uqa@...> wrote:

*puts on tinfoil hat* - In four years, Yaesu, ICOM, and Kenwood will have ceased incorporating 2m into radios, giving justification to the idea that no one uses it anymore. They'll say "Look, the top guys don't even include 2m in their radios anymore".