Re: 2m under threat for Thales

Brent D

2m is heavily used locally for ares/races as well as for local nets. I'd bet 2m is used around me twice as much as any other band.

To reiterate my point from earlier: never let them take anything without a fight, even if you're not currently using it. It'll be much tougher to get back, and will open the doors for justification to take more later on.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019, 1:28 PM Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:
The big comment here is ...

What is every active ham today doing to reinforce how import 2M (144-146) to us?

I bet the percentage of active ham's today use 2M much less then in the 90's.

Are you mentoring new hams and bringing them in?  Or, are you sitting in the sidelines saying it isn't my problem.

Some of you may be, but I bet  most aren't doing a thing?

When was the last time you had a 2M qso on FM?

Based on current usage Metrics I bet we don't have a leg to stand on.  Rest assured they did their homework on activity.  All you have to do is capture the IQ stream from an SDR receiver and write some scripts to watch for activity.  They could do this with a $25 RTL dongle.

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM Dennis Beverage <Sodypop@...> wrote:
So it would appear that ARRL and the IARU are both paying close attention to this band allocation issue and that both favor retention of the band use for amature operators.  Since these two organizations are the pipeline for band allocation here in the USA I feel we ought to follow their lead.  I’m not sure about support organization in the EU, but it would appear that those bases are covered also.   Leadership in both zones is asking that we as individual operators funnel our support for 2m band retention through them, rather than creating our own special interest petitions.  JMO

sodypop
kj6vgb