Re: Who has AGC... Fun Facts

Jerry Gaffke

You don't have to be a dinosaur.
IF derived is better because it comes on faster, it would take milliseconds to sense low frequency audio,
and in that time the RF/IF stages will go into overload and distort.
So we have audio derived AGC and RF derived AGC (that is where the signal level is detected),
and while most radios then adjust the RF and/or IF gain accordingly, we could also adjust the AF gain.
We might need 3 or 4 different acronyms. ;-)

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM, Scott McDonald wrote:
And because I’m a dinosaur I want to believe a decent IF-derived system is better, though I have to admit the ubitx audio-derived stuff is pretty good. :)