Re: Who has AGC... Fun Facts

Joe Puma

I’m taking this discussion in and learning. Jerry you always find a way to educate the group when topics fly by. As I’ve been learning I understood that there is automatic volume control and automatic gain (RF) control. I learned that RF gain control is better to use. For me I just want to be able to hear weak stations and clamp down on the real close ones.  But as to your AGC AVC discussion and why we don’t properly label the two. Show my a radio that has AVC on the knob. I’m a relatively new ham but all I’ve ever seen is AGC. Maybe some of the older tube boat radios used AVC, I don’t know but it’s easy to label it all AGC because I’ve never seen a AVC lable on a radio knob.

Joe
KD2NFC

On Apr 20, 2019, at 1:46 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

I can believe there is a historical basis for drawing a distinction between AGC and AVC.
And that there are still a few folks that might maintain this difference.
But in 2019, it seems almost everybody just lumps it all together as AGC.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 10:12 PM, MadRadioModder wrote:

The Antique Radio guys would eat us alive for not knowing the distinction between AGC and AVC.