From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 1:58 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Confused about how AGC works?

From
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_gain_control
"Automatic gain control (AGC), also called automatic volume control (AVC), is a closed-loop feedback regulating circuit in an amplifier or chain of amplifiers, ..."
A google search for "AGC vs AVC" shows they are considered synonomous in radio design (but not for power grids), and that AGC is the more modern term.

In this forum, all such circuits for receivers have been getting referred to as AGC.
For some reason, the term AVC has only been used in this forum for automatic level control while transmitting
(Except for these posts from MRM.)
Works well for me, as few of us care that much about AVC while transmitting.
I suggest we keep it that way.

…_. _._