Re: Shaking my head in disbelief....

AA9GG

Kit building is all about the adventure and the accomplishment when finally complete....LOL

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:09 PM Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:

​Sorry Kelly, for the problems you are having!   But you will eventually conquer them.

Kits tend to have an additional component packed in the box, that doesn't show up on the Bill of Materials, nor on the Schematic.

If someone could name it, it might come out as "OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN THROUGH CONSIDERABLE TRIALS GETTING THIS DARN THING TO WORK"

My first radio built from a heathkit, didn't work for the first SIX MONTHS that I owned it, despite I think 2 trips back to Benton Harbor Michigan.   They engineered in the most horrible KEY CLICKS you could imagine.   As a teenager that taught me a ton about voltmeters, and RC circuits and time constants.    I certainly didn't have an oscilloscope to try and understand it!    But the kit gave me tons of chances to learn about components, circuits and all things electronic.

That's the way it is in ham radio when you venture out from "store-bought"  $$$$$ rigs.   Within a few years of that ignominious beginning, I was designing my own triple 811A amplifier.

Gordon