Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Gigabyte

How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.  

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
>
> I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>
>  This is a link to the box I have.  https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html
>
> Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>>
>>
>> Original poster:
>>
>> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>>
>>
>> Ted
>> K3RTA
>
>

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.