Re: Need Help Troubleshooting UBit-X #ubitx-help

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Apparently this in reference to my comments. I doubt a stereo (three conductor) plug will short any signal to ground when plugged into a properly wired stereo jack. A mono (two conductor plug) will short the ring contact in a stereo jack to ground and not just momentarily. In my radios any stereo jack in use for output has it's ring connector *ignored*. Nothing is connected there to short to ground even though the sleeve on the mono plug (grounded) is connected to the ring contact inside the stereo jack. I hope that was wordy enough to be clear.

As stated, I do not expect to listen to any stereo on the HF bands and see no point in wiring that contact in the jack. If you bought stereo cans well that is your own personal problem. Put those with your stereo set and use mono on your communications radios. Or listen in one ear. Or rewire the cans as appropriate. I have been down the one ear route when the only thing handy was stereo cans. Somehow I actually survived that until I could get my hands on the mono cans.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 1/23/19 4:58 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
Perhaps Bill's point was that pushing a stereo plug into a stereo jack
can somehow momentarily short one of the signals to ground.
A 4 ohm resistor between uBitx main board and the headphone jack would solve this
if that's of concern.
Jerry, KE7ER
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:41 PM, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Maybe best to just make sure there isn't anything with a mono 3.5mm
plug on it within easy reach.
--
bark less - wag more