Re: Microphony

Jerry Gaffke

I've never done it that way, nipping a cold SMD part with a pair of cutters..
Mechanical stresses would be considerable, this never separates copper pad from board?

I generally use two soldering irons, heat both ends simultaneously.
Then pick the part up using the two irons like tweezers.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 04:06 AM, Peter Russell wrote:
Cured!
turned out to be C50 in the audio pre amp.
replaced it with a leaded electrolytic.

A little tip - for those who need it!
If you know that you are going to replace a smd capacitor or resistor, I find the easiest way to remove them is to take a pair of small cutters and cut the component in half.
Then, with a pair of tweezers, it's easy to unsolder the two ends.

Peter G8FWY